Saturday 28 April 2012

Just a week left Down Under.

My time in Australia is fast disappearing, just where have the days, weeks and months gone to? In so many ways it has not been like an extended holiday at all, as I have been accepted so warmly into every day life here by so many people.

I have been spending as much time as possible at Jonesy's office working on my book and progress has been very good. I am quite impressed with my own diligence but then again it is a labour of love, and has brought back to me so many memories of a fantastic period in my life.

This has been the longest time that I have spent in an office environment since my retail travel days in the early 1990's. My thoughts have turned to my impending return to the UK and the need to seek some gainful employment. I have a few thoughts (believe it or not) but one of my first tasks will be to finalise the publication of my book.

My dinner looking worried!


So, back to the present and my remaining time in Australia. On Anzac evening I was invited to dinner by Glenda. Dianne, Michael and Jonesy were also in attendance and Glenda did us proud with a fantastic SCMB (Slow Cooked Mediterranean Beef)  dish. Dianne and Michael provided a delicious rice based coconut dessert and we had a brilliant night chatting and laughing over a few glasses of wine.

Four-up not two-up!
Jonesy and I had been given t-shirts by Myra with the legend 'Come in Spinner' upon them. This refers to a game known as 'two-up', where two coins are spun and punters bet on whether they land heads or tails. The game is only legally able to be played on 25th April, Anzac Day. We didn't play needless to say but it was a major event in many pubs across Australia that day.

I have become an honorary member of the Clueless Pub Trivia team and for the first time in my three months here, the team secured first place at Thursdays quiz at the Duke of Wellington. I'd like to say I was an integral part of that success however, as an example of my contribution this was the question. "Which country will host the 2015 Rugby World Cup?". Bearing in mind that I was wearing an England Rugby shirt, my considered answer was 'France'. The actual answer was...you've guessed it, England!

Boy, do I ever live up to the team name. What a miss I'll be to this team when I return to the UK. Any prospective trivia teams in the UK can contact me to negotiate my unique talents for their team now!!!

Friday morning had become power walking morning with Jonesy and Colin but, due to my cellulitis attack, I had been unable to participate for the previous month. This Friday I was up for the 6am start where we were joined by Eadesy (Jonesy's Rugby referee pal) just to make sure we were not slacking.

Breakie at Cha Cha's on The Junction.
After a brisk 45 minute run (well quick walk!), we adjoined to Cha Cha's cafe at The Junction and met Cookie and his wife Jenny for breakfast. This is a weekly occurrence, and is as much a social event amongst good friends. As good a way to start the day as any for sure.



Being my own boss, so to speak, I continued the exercise regime and cycled along the Newcastle Foreshore to Nobbys Beach and then walked along the beach, enjoying the solitude, sun and surf. A few surfers were doing their thing but otherwise the beach was empty. Even in Autumn the temperature today was 24c and I sat for some time reflecting on the last few months, and all of the lovely people who had contributed to making my time here so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment