Tuesday 15 May 2012

One last challenge before I go home.

Sinking feeling in March 2012.
You may remember this photograph from an earlier blog. It was my unsuccessful attempt to kayak on Lake Macquarie, when a combination of strong waves and rubbish balance resulted in me capsizing my kayak a number of times before I was forced to give up. This episode also caused the small cut on my foot that, it would seem, resulted in my attack of cellulitis and caused me much discomfort for the best part of the following few weeks.

Success

Even backwards into a yacht!

Man and kayak both dry.
Alan had invited me for one last opportunity to experience the thrill of kayaking on my penultimate day in Australia. The weather was bright and sunny but there was a cool breeze afoot. Fortunately, when I arrived at the lakeside at Valentine the water surface seemed relatively smooth. As I awaited Alan's arrival with the kayaks I watched various craft coming and going, including a couple of kayakers who seemed to effortlessly skim through the water.

Alan had bought a slightly wider and shorter kayak for me to use today, not to hold my bulk, (before you say it), but to give more stability in the water. With my life-jacket on and with Alan taking my camera (well I didn't want to chance it), I sat into the kayak and wriggled around to get the feel of the balance.

As I pushed off rather tentatively, and despite a few slight wobbles all seemed to be fine. Under Alan's tutorship I practised using the paddles to give extra balance and to turn left and right and to even go backwards. I was beginning to enjoy this and we went for a leisurely paddle around the many yachts and pleasure craft at moorings on this part of the lake.

We were out for about an hour and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would like to thank Alan for the giving me the opportunity to exorcise, not so much a demon as a slight to my pride.

Alan the master griller.

Not a bad view from your deck Alan.
Afterwards we retired to Alan's for a last barbie, only my second here, and enjoyed a beer as we looked down to the lake in the distance. Thanks mate for your friendship and good humour and for taking me to see the Newcastle Jets and Knights...now I know what I'm missing!!

That evening there was one last meal as dear Glenda had invited me, Jonesy and Alan over for dinner. She showed me where she intended to 'train' the Triffid to grow in her garden and I look forward to seeing photos and reports on its progress. Better still, to seeing it for myself before too long elapses.

It was fitting somehow to be with these three friends on my last night and that is not to single them out for special mention above all of the people who had welcomed me to their homes and into their lives so willingly (and stupidly) over the past three months.

Peter and Neil

Me with Tom


I was to catch a train from Hamilton at 1230 for Sydney Central and my flight with Emirates at 6.45pm on Monday 07th May. Before I left I had to visit Jonesy's father, Peter, one more time. Peter has been sidelined since Christmas 2011, and is currently recovering at a nursing home in Newcastle. He is a lovely, intelligent and very witty man and I wish him the very best wishes for a comfortable and painless rehabilitation. With caring and loving family and friends beside him he will get all the support he needs. It was also nice to see Tom, a fellow patient who I saw on my visits to Peter and who has a wicked sense of humour. Tom keeps an eye on Peter in the family's absence which is a comfort I know.

Finally, I must record my most sincere thanks to my mate Jonesy. He has allowed me yet again to live in his house, coming and going as I please. He has introduced me to so many of his lovely friends and taken me here and there without any complaint. I have been allowed to use his office as my own, which has helped me no end to have almost completed my book.

But most of all he has been a loyal and true friend to me, listening to my ramblings and putting up with my jokes! It is little wonder that his friends, who are now my friends, value him so highly. Cheers Jonesy, you're one of a kind.  



No comments:

Post a Comment